NEW RELEASE

2021 DJL Viognier

$28.00
$168.00

37 in stock

A single vineyard wine only produced in exceptional years; this limited (100 dozen) Cellar Door release Viognier is estate grown on our Boodjidup vineyard. The fresh bouquet displays ripe tropical fruits, white flowers, and spice along with typically varietal apricot and honeysuckle characters in the background. Fuller bodied, the palate displays ripe stone fruits and guava characters, with a lovely fruit sweetness balanced by some textural viscosity before a moreish, lingering finish with fine talcy acidity.

More Information
Navigate To
  • Viticulture
  • Tasting Notes
  • Winemaking
  • Related Wines
  • Delivery Information

Viticulture

Viognier
2021
Margaret River
We had a great summer leading up to vintage, although a rain event about a week or so before the start of harvest lead to some unusually humid conditions (for Margaret River at least). Careful fruit selection in some vineyards was required as a result of the humidity, despite experiencing good weather during the white harvest. The end of the whites saw a bit more rain, which was then followed by fine weather for the rest of March setting up the Cabernets nicely. In summary 2021 was a more challenging season than usual, however the extra work in the vineyard ultimately paid dividends with some wonderfully elegant wines being produced as a result. A single vineyard wine only produced in exceptional years; this limited (100 dozen) Cellar Door release Viognier is estate grown on our Boodjidup vineyard.

Tasting Notes

Pale straw.
The fresh bouquet displays ripe tropical fruits, white flowers, and spice along with typically varietal apricot and honeysuckle characters in the background.
Fuller bodied, the palate displays ripe stone fruits and guava characters, with a lovely fruit sweetness balanced by some textural viscosity before a moreish, lingering finish with fine talcy acidity.

Winemaking

14%
750ml
3.19
40% of the fruit in this wine was whole berry pressed and settled, with the clean juice fermented at 15°C in stainless steel tanks using aromatic yeast strains to retain fresh varietal characteristics. The remaining 60% was whole berry pressed and the cloudy juice was barrel fermented in seasoned French oak barriques. This component underwent a short battonage program for 4 months to add texture and complexity before blending with the tank ferment component. The final components were then stabilised, filtered, and bottled under screw cap closure. No fining was undertaken.